1 go on
发生;进行
1.A Hey, what/'s going on here?
这里发生了什么事?
B Your friends are trying to have me removed.
你的朋友想把我赶走。
Make It or Break It(1*1)
2.A I just got your text.What/'s going on?
我刚收到你的短信。怎么了?
B You didn/'t tell me that you were bringing me to a family event.
你可没说带我来参加的是家族聚会。
Gossip Girl(3*4)
3.A I wanna go on the mission.
我想参加此次任务。
B Maybe next time.
下次吧。
Nikita(1*3)
4.A Anything is going on with you two?
你们俩是不是在谈恋爱?
B No, what?Are you kidding?
没有,怎么可能。
The Big Bang Theory(1*5)
2 go through
1)遭受;经历;忍受
A I think he went through one hell of a trauma.
他觉得他经受了很重的创伤。
B Well, it/'s gonna take him some time to become himself again.
嗯,要他重新做回自己还需要点时间。
Gossip Girl(4*2)
2)仔细检查;审查
A We/'ll go through it tonight frame by frame.
今晚我们一个动作一个动作地进行分析。
B Okay. I can/'t agree with you more.
我再同意不过了。
Make It or Break It(1*1)
3)(法律等)被通过
A I can/'t go through with this. You need to call her and cancel.
在这种情况下,我无法履行原先的约定,你给她打个电话取消吧。
B What should I tell her?
要我跟她说什么呢?
The Big Bang Theory(1*2)
3 go out
1)外出,出门(尤指为了消遣)
A I/'m going out for a while.
我要出去一下。
B Okay.
好的。
The Big Bang Theory(2*8)
2)与异性交往
1.A We/'re not going out anymore.I should pay for myself.
我们已经分手了,我应该自己付钱。
B Never mind. I got it.
算了,我请了。
The Big Bang Theory(4*2)
2.A How do you know I/'m going out with Charlie?
你怎么知道我在和查理约会?
B My dad just told me.
我爸爸告诉我的。
The West Wing(1*6)
4 go after
追求;追逐
A I/'m done with Penny. I/'m going to be more realistic and go after someone on my own speed.
我和佩妮结束了。我要更现实些,去追求跟我合拍的人。
B Like who?
比如是谁呢?
The Big Bang Theory(1*2)
5 go against
违背;反对;对(某人)不利
A They murder anyone who goes against them.
谁跟他们作对,就会被他们消灭掉。
B That/'s horrible.
太可怕了。
Numbers(2*5)
6 go ahead
继续,进行
A Why don/'t I talk to her for a minute or two?
我想和她商量一下,行吗?
B Okay, you go ahead.
好的,你们商量吧。
Everybody Loves Raymond(1*22)
7 go along with
赞成,支持
A You don/'t always have to go along with what the woman wants.
你不一定总是要按照女人的意思生活。
B You got it. I need my space.
你说得对。我想要点私人空间。
The Big Bang Theory(2*10)
8 go around
传播
A It/'s okay to be smarter than everybody, but you can/'t go around pointingit out.
比大家都聪明是好事,但你不能到处显摆。
B Why not?
为什么不行?
A Because people don/'t like it.
因为别人不喜欢!
The Big Bang Theory(1*4)
9 go back to
回到;回复
A Promise we won/'t go back to our old ways.
答应我,我们再也不会像以前那样。
B Like you said, that was high school.
就像你说的那样,那都是高中时的事了。
Gossip Girl(4*1)
10 go off the rails
偏离轨道
A You/'d think I/'d gone off the rails again.
你会认为我又偏离正轨了。
B Did you?
不是吗?
Gossip Girl(3*1)
11 go for
试图得到;争取获得,求得
A You/'ll grow accustomed to dealing with me in this configuration.
你就会渐渐习惯和这样的我打交道。
B That/'s what I was going for.
我也是这么想的。
The Big Bang Theory(4*2)
12 go into
进入;从事(某种职业)
A If I ever did a perfect time-machine, I would just go into the past.
如果我发明了完美的时间机器,我会回到过去。
B Interesting.
有意思。
The Big Bang Theory(1*4)
13 go out of
出来
A He really went out of his way this time.
这次,他确实跑掉了。
B What else do you have?
你还有什么要告诉我的?
Prison Break(2*5)
14 go too far
做得或说得太过分
A I went too far, didn/'t I?
我太过分了,是吗?
B A little bit.
有点儿。
Friends(7*8)
15 go the distance
坚持到底
A This thing is going the distance.
这事能成。
B I hope so.
但愿如此。
The Big Bang Theory(1*2)
从数字表达看思维差异
学习英语的最高境界其实就是成功地转换思维,即从中文思维方式转换到英文思维方式。可以说,转换的频率越高,切换得越自如,对两种语言的掌握就越好。以英汉两种语言对数词的表达方式为例,体会一下这种差别(括号里是英文的直接翻译)。
一目了然:see with half an eye(用半个眼睛去看)
一模一样:as alike as two peas(两个豆子的比较)
三言两语:in a few words;in one or two words(一些话与一两个词的比较)
三心二意:to be in two minds(两个头脑中的思考)
三思而后行:look before you leap(跳之前先看看)
三三两两:by ones and twos(一一二二)
四面八方:all directions;all quarters;all around;far and near(“all”代表一切)
七嘴八舌:all talking at once(仍然是“all”代表一切)
乱七八糟:at sixes and sevens(六与七的比较)
半斤八两:six of one and half-a-dozen of the other(一打的一半:六个)
十之八九:ten to one(十与一的对比)
十全十美:be perfect in every way;be out of this world;to the nines(只有九,没有十)
百里挑一:one in a thousand(千里挑一)
我们可以看到,英汉相同数词在表达同一情境时往往是不对应或不完全对应。比如三三两两,英文用:by ones and twos(一一二二)。乱七八糟:at sixes and sevens(六与七的比较);而四面八方:all directions;all quarters;all around;far and near用all代表了视角范围内的一切角落。
由此,我们可以看出,比较之后,才能找到差异,获得记忆时的要点。